Investment in Biofuels
Biofuels Investment in Colombia
According to the Food and Agriculture Organization, Colombia holds the highest yield rate (85.96 ton/he) within the world's largest sugarcane producers surpassing countries such as Brazil (75.34 ton/he), China (70.59 ton/he), and India (67.43 ton/he).
Colombia is one of the largest producers of Biodiesel, reaching 513 thousand tons in 2015.
- Great amounts of land available: around 7.4 million hectares suitable for biocarburants which does not affect forest biodiversity.
- The availability of land for agriculture in Colombia is five times higher than in Malaysia, which is the world’s second largest palm oil producer.
- Colombian Palm oil and sugar cane used to elaborate biofuels have proved the highest yield among the other feedstock used in the world.
- With 1.2 million tons, Colombia is the largest palm oil producer in Latin America and the fifth worldwide.
- The local supply still does not supply domestic demand for ethanol and biodiesel. By 2020 it is expected the domestic demand to reach 1,400 million liters of ethanol and 1,200 litters of biodiesel annually.
- According to the “Life Cycle Analysis 2012” the ethanol produced in Colombia reduces the emission of GHG by 74% and the biodiesel reduces those levels by 83%. (EMPA and The Pontifical Bolivarian University)
The above are some of the reasons why you should invest in the Biofuels Sector in Colombia. Take a close look at these and other investment advantages to choose Colombia for your next project.
- Develop biorefineries, biomass processing plants and transesterification centers, in order to transform palm oil into biodiesel. Currently, Colombia is able to cover an annual production of around one million tonnes. Ministry of Agriculture.
- Joint ventures with biodiesel processing plants, in order to improve the current yield rates considered the highest ones in the country (386.953 lit/day). Fedebiocombustibles
- New and ongoing ethanol and biodiesel projects that require investment. Future demand of biofuels in Colombia is expected to be higher over the next years as the blend policy increases, thus to cover the demand local production of ethanol and biodiesel must grow.
- Develop research Greenfield projects for second-generation biofuels, which is considered the future of the global industry.
There are many regions in the country with a great potential for the Biofuel sector such as:
Important Corporations Have Chosen Colombia to Conduct Their Business Operations:
- Mitsubishi (Japan): has become partner with Ecopetrol in the project Bioenergy (Ethanol Porduction, 2012).
These are only some of the reasons to invest in the Biofuel industry, we invite you to investigate in detail these and more reasons why Colombia is the destination for your projects.
Investment Specialist: Margarita Arango
At PROCOLOMBIA we cater to international companies, large enterprises and foreign government agencies interested in investment in Colombia.
Due to the nature of our activities, we do not attend to individual or personal investment requirements.
We suggest you review our Frequently Asked Questions on Investment in Colombia before you send us your inquiries.
If you are a corporate investor, please fill out our contact form.