Why Invest in Colombia?
ATTRACTIVE BUSINESS ENVIRONMENT
- Strengthening the macroeconomic variables together with a dynamic economic performance. The GDP per capita has doubled over the last decade, going from USD 5.826 in 2000 to USD 10.350 in 2012.
- A dynamic domestic market, being the 23rd largest population of the world and the second most populous Spanish-speaking population.
- It is the third most business-friendly and the leading reforming country in Latin America according to Doing Business 2013 of the World Bank.
A RELIABLE PARTNER
- A country with investment-grade rating awarded by Standard & Poor’s, Moody’s and Fitch on Colombia's sovereign debt in 2011.
- It has the second lowest perceived risk in the region, measured by the behavior of 5-year Credit Default Swaps.
AN ACTIVE ECONOMY IN THE GLOBAL MARKET
- Extensive trade relations, exporting to 181 countries, with more than 9,700 exporter companies.
- Strong international integration with eight free trade agreements in force, three signed agreements and five under negotiation that will give you preferential access to a market of more than 1.5 billion customers.
- Thanks to the free trade agreements, Colombia establishes itself as a solid export platform, making the country a gateway for the world.
INTERCONECTED WITH THE WORLD
- Technology infrastructure supported by five underwater cables and a national fiber-optic ring that connects 300 municipalities in the country.
- Easy access to global markets thanks to its privileged geographical location and developed logistics infrastructure.
- One of the countries with the largest annual increase in availability of human resources according to the 2012 IMD Workforce Growth Rate.
- More than 200 thousand students graduated every year from higher education, 53% undergraduate and 28% postgraduate.
- 7 of the country’s universities are amongst the best in the world.
A COUNTRY STRIVING FOR INNOVATION
- Colombia is betting on innovation as a cross-cutting component for the transformation of products and services that generate added value and skilled employment. For that reason, the national government has included innovation as one of the driving engines in its 2010-2014 National Development Plan.
COMPETITIVE LEGAL FRAMEWORK
- Government commitment to provide incentives for investment and stability for investors.
- Extensive range of free trade zones with more than 100 authorized permanent and special permanent zones.
THE GOVERNMENT'S COMMITMENT TO DEVELOPMENT
- Colombia has a national development plan that addresses the country's primary needs and designs and implements an action plan to achieve continuous growth and competitiveness.
- Within the development plan, the Government is investing in: Mines and Energy - Infrastructure - Innovation - Agribusiness - Housing.
- The Productive Transformation Program (PTP) promotes the productivity and competitiveness of sectors with high exporting potential, through more efficient coordination of the public and private sectors.
Invest in Colombia
Investment Booklet 2015.pdf10.1 MB